In my last article, Finding Happiness in an Unhappy World, I discussed how happiness is an energy (frequency and vibration) that we resonate. This energy is created by our state of mind, which is affected by our thoughts, which in turn is affected by our perception of things. When you practice certain techniques, you can actually change your state of mind to one of happiness, abundance and joy. You have the power to program yourself. Why not program yourself to be happy? Here's 5 steps to begin with:
1) Eliminate Obstacles (aka Negative Stimuli): I believe programming oneself to be happy begins with removing obstacles. At the very least, try to minimize them. These obstacles include, but are not limited to: negative people, negative programming on television (the news in particular) or in the movies. Anything in life that is disturbing, upsetting or gets in the way of you feeling happy should be eliminated if possible. I realize this is a tough one, as we always seem to be at the mercy of our environment to a certain degree. We may not get along with particular family members, co-workers or even our employer, however we should make an effort to remove anything negative that is within our control. If a particular person seems to irritate you, then try to keep your distance as best you can. At the very least, turn your home into a positive and peaceful sanctuary. Starting and ending your day in a happy environment can work wonders, and actually help you deal better with the negativities you face in the outside world. Another quick tip: Do not watch or read anything negative or upsetting before going to sleep! And please do not fall asleep watching the news! This is a quick way to program yourself for unhappiness, as we are more susceptible to subconscious programming when we are sleeping!
2) Observe Thought Patterns: Become conscious of your thoughts! We have tons of thoughts running through our conscious and subconscious minds all day long. Many of these thoughts are negative, yet we may not even be aware of them. Start to consciously monitor your thoughts. Take notice of your inner dialogue. What are you telling yourself? What do most of your thoughts consist of? You may be surprised at what you find you've been telling yourself all along (and haven't noticed)! Are these thoughts of benefit to your happiness and well-being? Take a moment to analyze why you are thinking the thoughts you think. Doing so will help you to have a better understanding of yourself and the inner workings of your mind.
3) Correct Thought Patterns: Now that you are consciously observing your thoughts, you will want to change what isn't working for you. When a negative thought appears, the best way to eliminate it is to replace it with a new positive thought. Example: You realize you've been telling yourself that you are ugly repeatedly all day long. Now start telling yourself that you are beautiful over and over again until the thought of being ugly is removed. You can say it in your head or out loud. At first you may not believe it and you may ask yourself what's the point. However, if you tell yourself you are beautiful enough times, your subconscious mind will start to believe it. Eventually you will consciously believe it and the negative thought about being ugly will be replaced with the positive thought about being beautiful. To take things one step further, you can actually listen to positive affirmations in order to replace negative thoughts with positive ones. This technique is called “autosuggestion” and is super powerful if you go to sleep at night listening to your positive affirmation(s). Your negative thoughts should change to brand new happy thoughts in no time at all!
4) Eliminate Expectations: Expectations lead to disappointment most of the time when one's expectations are not met. If we have no expectations, we don't set ourselves up for possible disappointment. This includes not just expectations of others or of situations, but expectations of ourselves. Sometimes we expect too much from ourselves and can actually create anxiety or feelings of being overwhelmed. We can also become sad or depressed when our expectations are not met. Expect nothing and trust that everything will fall into place as it should. Which brings me to my next point...
5) Trust: Trust the universe, God, higher power or whatever entity, energy or spirit you believe in. If you don't believe in anything, at the very least believe in yourself! Trust in yourself! Trust that there is a greater purpose, a greater plan, and that things will work out for the greater good. Trust that you are a wonderful amazing being full of light and love and that you deserve happiness as much as anyone else! Trust that you have the strength and determination to create and maintain this happiness!
In my next article I will continue where I left off, discussing more steps involved in programming yourself to be happy! Stay tuned! Peace and Blessings!
Jennie Haiman is a Reiki Master Energy Healer, Co-Founder of Self Saviorz Society California Non-Profit 501(c)(3), Poet, Author and Entertainer with goals to help raise the vibration and consciousness of humanity!