In my last article, Program Yourself to Be Happy Part 1 (5 Steps), I discussed the first 5 steps of programming oneself to be happy. These steps are: 1) Eliminating Obstacles (aka Negative Stimuli), 2) Observing Thought Patterns, 3) Correcting Thought Patterns, 4) Eliminating Expectations and 5) Trust. I will now continue where I left off starting with Step 6:
6) Practice Patience: Practicing patience is easier said than done when you're late to work stuck in rush hour traffic or waiting in line during the Holiday Season! Even worse during a Mercury Retrograde! These are moments when we must take a few breaths and realize that we are exactly where we are supposed to be at that juncture in time. Submit to the moment! It's best to just relax and accept the circumstances. Practice patience! You know they say it's a virtue! Practicing patience can also help greatly when one has reactive tendencies. Many of us tend to get angry and react quickly saying things we wish we didn't say, or even worse, acting out our emotions physically (ex: punching a wall or even a person, etc). These words and actions can cause a lot of unnecessary problems. Addressing our emotions with patience can be very helpful in these difficult moments. When you learn to control your thoughts, words and actions, life becomes a lot more positive which contributes to your happy state of mind! More importantly than anything, learn to have patience with yourself! No one said this life was going to be easy! Becoming a better, happier being is a process that may take some time. Practice makes perfect! Practice Patience! Everything will happen when it's supposed to!
7) See the Positive in the Negative: We live in a dimension of duality whereby both positive and negative exists. We must learn to appreciate both. Without the delicate balance of both positive and negative this world as we know it would not exist. We can't have one without the other. When you are going through a difficult time in life it is easy to get down on yourself. You may start wondering things like “Why me?” “What did I do to deserve this?” Etc... Learn to see the positive in the negative! Take a moment to analyze your situation. What can you learn from it? Perhaps there is something positive hidden in the negative? A positive message perhaps? Or even a positive outcome after all the supposed negativity plays out? I believe every negative situation can be converted into a positive one. It's all a matter of perception! I personally have been suffering with a mood disorder (depression, anxiety, panic) as well as physical health problems for a very long time. I have been down in dark places, but what helps me come back is seeing the positive in the negative! I have learned so much just from trying to fix myself, that now I can help others. That's a major positive! So try to see how negative things in your life can be used to your benefit. Train your mind to see the positive in the negative!
8) Practice Gratitude: Every month I endure 3 days of endless migraine pain. I have yet to discover the cure to this dilemma. However, on Day 4, when all the pain has subsided I feel beyond grateful! I am so filled with gratitude it is amazing. It's as if I've been re-born. So now when I am amidst my 3 days of suffering, I remember that 4th day of immense joy and it helps me get through those 3 painful days. Experiencing pain and suffering has helped me to understand just how blessed I really am. It has helped me to practice gratitude. I am grateful for all the struggles I've been through, as I would not be who I am today without having endured them. The difficulties and the struggles have actually strengthened me and turned me into a person that I am proud to be. Wake up everyday with gratitude! Go to sleep with gratitude! Thank the universe for your life, for your health, for everything you have, your family, your friends, etc. Be grateful for the good as well as the bad. It is all a part of this wonderfully challenging human experience! Being grateful raises one's vibration and creates even more things to be grateful for. This is a very important practice. If it is difficult for you to feel grateful, please take a moment to write down all the things in life that you should be grateful for. Read this list daily (especially before going to bed at night) and re-program your mind with thoughts of gratitude! You may also listen to positive affirmations specific to feeling grateful!
9) Stop Caring What People Think: People will always judge and criticize. You can't allow other people's thoughts or expectations to get you down. You must find a way to detach and trust your own instincts. Some of us care what other people think more than others. I've been lucky in a way in that I've always been pretty independent minded and a bit detached. Other people's thoughts of me never seemed to matter too much. In fact, I tend to purposely go against the grain and not conform. We are all unique beings. Some of us care what people think more than others. Just remember...If you care too much about what other people think, it may impede upon your happiness. In the end, care what you think! Your thoughts are what's most important!
10) Practice Generosity: Interestingly, the brain is not aware of the difference between giving and receiving. So whether you give or receive, your brain perceives that you are receiving. Wow! This is quite amazing! So the more you give, the more you actually receive. To get a better idea of just how powerful the act of giving can be, I suggest reading my article Generosity. A simple act of giving, without expecting anything in return, can be life-changing when practiced regularly. Whether it's giving of time, energy or a material gift, giving is good. It's an act that aligns you with a higher frequency, raises your vibration and contributes to a happier existence! Practice Generosity and watch how the universe becomes more generous with you!
In next week's article I will continue where I left off with even MORE steps to achieving and maintaining happiness through programming! Til next time...Peace and Blessings!
Jennie Haiman is a Reiki Master Energy Healer, Co-Founder of Self Saviorz Society California Non-Profit 501(c)(3), Poet, Author and Entertainer with goals to help raise the vibration and consciousness of humanity!